UPDATED 4/25/11 with new dailies added in Patch 4.1
The patch brings us new fishing dailies in some of our other capital cities, so we can add some variety to our daily routine. I know I’ve grown tired of doing the same old quests, and quite honestly, I miss the Undercity. I’ll be decamping for there after the patch lands.
New Alliance Fishing Dailies in Darnassus
Quests come from Astaia.
- A Slippery Snack. Gather 6 Baby Octopi from the shallow water near Rut’theran Village.
- An Old Favorite. Catch 8 Kaldorei Herring by fishing in Rut’theran Village.
- Happy as a Clam Digger. Gather 10 Teldrassil Clams from the shores near Rut’theran Village.
- Stocking Up. Catch 5 Lake Whitefish by fishing in Darnassus.
- The Sister’s Pendant. Retrieve Aquinne’s Moon Pendant from the belly of a Giant Catfish. You should be able to catch them anywhere you can fish in Darnassus.
New Alliance Fishing Dailies in Ironforge
Quests come from Grimnur Stonebrand.
- Cold Water Fishing. Catch 5 Arctic Char by fishing in Helm’s Bed Lake in Dun Morogh.
- Fish fer Squirky. Catch 3 Blind Minnows in the pool in the Forlorn Cavern and feed them to Squirky.
- Live Bait. Use Grimnur’s Bait on yourself, then jump into Helm’s Bed Lake in Dun Morogh.
- One fer the Ages. Catch a Young Ironjaw in Ironforge’s Forlorn Cavern and display it in the Library near the Empty Plaque.
- The Gnomish Bait-o-Matic. Use the Bait-o-Matic Blueprint with 5 Shiny Baubles, a Hair Trigger, and 3 Rat Traps to create the Gnomish Bait-o-Matic.
New Horde Fishing Dailies in The Undercity
Quests come from Armand Cromwell.
- Fish Head. Fish up a Severed Abomination Head in Undercity
- Like Pike? Dig up a Corpse Worm in the Ruins of Lordaeron courtyard and use it as bait to catch a Corpse-Fed Pike. Corpse-Fed Pike can be fished up in Brightwater Lake, northeast of Undercity.
- Moat Monster! Use the Alliance Decoy Kit to summon the Moat Monster in the Ruins of Lordaeron. Then use the Bloated Frogs to feed the monster.
- Tadpole Terror. Fish up 8 Giant Flesh-Eating Tadpoles.
- Time for Slime. Collect 10 Squirming Slime Molds.
New Horde Fishing Dailies in Thunder Bluff
Quests come from Kah Mistrunner.
- Craving Crayfish. Gather 10 Stonebull Crayfish from Stonebull Lake in Mulgore. You can fish them up dive in and grab them by hand.
- Pond Predators. Catch 8 Azshara Snakehead fish from the Thunder Bluff pond.
- Shiny Baubles. Collect 20 Shiny Stones from around the central rise’s base.
- The Race to Restock. Gather 2 Randy Smallfish and 2 Amorous Mud Snappers from Stonebull Lake in Mulgore.
- The Ring’s the Thing. Fish up Blind Cavefish from the Pools of Vision in Thunder Bluff and fillet them until you find the ring.
Original Post from December 2, 2010
I’d planned to hold off on this post until I’d actually gone through all 5 of the quests both Horde and Alliance side, but after a week-and-a-half, I’ve still only had the same 3 each side, and have been receiving prods about writing this post, so here you have it.
New Fishing Achievements
- Illustrious Grand Master Fisherman. Obtain 525 skill points in fishing. The previous fishing skill achievements were earned upon training the ability to earn another 75 skill points. I like this change to getting the recognition once you finally get that last available skill point.
- Fish or Cut Bait (A) or Fish and Cut Bait (H). Achievements for completing each of the 5 fishing daily quests.
- The Limnologist. Catch 48 different fresh water fish. This big list of fish includes fish from Azeroth, Outlands, and Northrend. Despite my many fishing dailies, and my having fished up all of the previously existing fish on the list many times in the past, my achievement in progress for this is a big wall of gray. Blergh. I would mind redoing this less if it were only the new Azeroth fishies, as I want to explore all the new content anyhow.
- The Oceanographer. Catch 33 different saltwater fish. Like Limnologist, these fish can be found in Azeroth, Northrend or Outlands (Jaggal Clams for the latter in case you were thinking to yourself what on earth could have been in saltwater in Outlands.)
New Alliance Fishing Dailies in Stormwind
- Hitting a Walleye. Catch 8 Hardened Walleye. A very straightforward, fast daily. Make sure you are at the correct lake — you should see an on screen indication that you are at Stormwind Lake. At 450 fishing, I caught one of these fish each cast.
- Rock Lobster. Collect 6 rock lobsters. This quest is completed under the Stormwind docks, and is a collection quest (checking the crab traps) not actually a fishing chore. There is a level 85 shark patrolling those waters, noted by the quest to be viscous (sic), so watch out.
- Thunder Falls. Catch 4 violet perch. Head out of Storwind’s city gates, and head immediately to the right, and look for a steep but accessible path up the cliffs. You’ll come to a small house with a smidge of water and a dock near the water falls. At 450 fishing I typically caught my four fish within 10 casts at worst.
- Diggin’ for Worms. Find an Overgrown Earthworm near Lake Olivia and use it as bait to catch a Crystal Bass. Look for cogwheels over hard to see mounds of dirt around Lake Olivia to grab your earthworm. After applying the worm to your hook, it’s buff will last 10 minutes which should be more than long enough to catch your fish at Olivia’s Pond. This one also happens to reward 2 fishing skill points instead of the usual 1. This body of water is near the Pumpkin Patch for the cooking daily, accessed through an exit from the Dwarven District.
- Big Gulp. Catch Royal Monkfish and fillet them until you find the Precious Locket. So far, this is my least favorite of the fishing dailies due to its randomness. One day I fished up 26 monkfish, over the span of 11 or 12 minutes before I got a locket.
New Horde Fishing Dailies in Orgrimmar
- Clammy Hands. Collect 10 Monstrous clam meat. The clams are collected (not fished) from the sea floor under the docks in Bladefist Bay, outside of Orgrimmar.
- A Staggering Effort. Head out the North exit of Orgrimmar to kill a stag and collect its eye to use as bait to catch a Sandy Carp in the Valley of Wisdom.
- A Golden Opportunity. Cut off a thunder Lizard’s tail with the quest item knife, then click on its tail to kill Golden Stonefish, retrieving 3 Golden Stonefish from their electrocuted bodies. You should be able to use that one lizard tail to easily kill all three of your fish.
- No Dumping Allowed. Fish up 6 toxic puddlefish. A very quick and straightforward daily.
- A Furious Catch. Catch a Giant Furious Pike in the Southfury River right outside Orgrimmar. Be sure to head South, not North, as you exit Orgrimmar through the Valley of the Spirits, as you want to remain in Durotar for this quest.
Other New Fishing Miscellanea
The new dailies reward you with a Bag of Shiny Things. Overall, the rewards bag has been disappointing. No cool grey or white items that serve as bank alt bling. No vendor trash that earns you a great sell price. No adorable pets. OK, I take back the latter — if you don’t already have a Strand Crawler from your Dalaran fishing bags, you have a chance at that.
I would guess that the overall cheap quality of these rewards is due to the fact that your level 10 characters can pick up these quests, and no one wants a filthy rich level 10 just from doing the fishing dailies. It would be nice though if there was a new pole, or a pet, or lures, or even unique bobber icons that could be either earned over time or randomly awarded through these new dailies. Oh well. they promised to make fishing more fun in Cataclysm, but so far I am not sure what it is they have in mind exactly. We shall see.
Are you going to grab a tackle box? It’s a new profession bag, fashioned by engineers. I am not seeing that for me it would be worth it over all. I typically send all my fish to a bank alt, and at any given time have a solid tab full of fish and meat. I am much more likely to go out into the world with regular bags and fill them up. But then again it might come in handy when roaming the world working on one of those new “catch one of every fish” achievements.
I do like the change of our mouse-over for the bobber now being a fishy. It’s very cute. Now if only they’d give us a way to earn ourselves one of these cute goblin fishing chairs…